On 10 April 1891, Elizabeth Travel Bell became the first Daughter to join NSDAR from the state of South Carolina. Two women were appointed by NSDAR as State Regent consecutively, Georgia Moore deFontaine followed by Julia Manning Richardson. However, individual chapters in the state were not able to officially organize during their terms of office.
In February 1892, the National Board elected Mrs. Rebecca Pickens Bacon as State Regent. On 10 May 1892, the State of South Carolina organized its very first DAR chapter, the Columbia Chapter. Mrs. Bacon aided by Mrs. Waring of the Columbia Chapter, Mrs. Law of the Cowpens Chapter, Mrs. Jones of the Rebecca Motte Chapter, and Mrs. Henderson of the Esther Marion Chapter succeeded in establishing the first four chapters within the first year of her regency. Before ending her term of office in 1897, she enjoyed the satisfaction of presenting to the National Society, seven fully organized chapters in her last report to Congress in 1897. Her enthusiastic dedicated work and perseverance gave her the honor of being credited as the Organizing and First State Regent of the South Carolina State Society.
On 11 October 1902, Sara Aldrich Richardson, third State Regent, was a member of the committee to select the site of Continental Hall in Washington, D.C., and was speaker for groundbreaking and laying of the building’s cornerstone on 19 April 1904. In 1908, South Carolina dedicated one of the monolithic columns for the Memorial Portico at NSDAR Building in Washington.
During WWI, South Carolina Daughters sent knitted woolen articles and 6000 pillowcases to the Battleship USS South Carolina, as well as surgical dressings and hospital garments to war effort.
During WWII, after the end of the Great Depression years, the Daughters raised $6,265.88 in two years for the NSDAR Major War Project for the blood plasma for our Armed Forces.
Historic Preservation projects are forever evolving. South Carolina daughters obtained a Historic Preservation Grant through NSDAR to preserve Eliza Lucas Pinckneys 18th Century sack back gown housed in the Charleston Museum, as well as a grant for restoration of Andrew Pickens Home in Clemson, South Carolina. The State Society maintains the SCDAR Genealogical Collection at the Camden Archives in Camden, South Carolina.
The education of our children is a major objective of the State Society. In 1919, the South Carolina Daughters saw a need to bring educational opportunities to the mountain children in the Appalachian section of the state. Today, Tamassee DAR School is a safe haven for children in need. South Carolina Daughters also support their local schools and teachers, volunteering their time to aid and assist teachers. Classroom grants to assist teachers are awarded each year.
Patriotism has a very special place in the heart of each of our Daughters. South Carolina DAR members are passionately supporting our men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces through many acts of service. They serve in South Carolina's two veteran hospitals, in Columbia and Charleston, the Fisher House in Charleston as well as in our Veterans Home in Walterboro, South Carolina. They support active duty military through DAR Project Patriot efforts.
In the 126 years that have followed since the organization of the Columbia Chapter, 41 South Carolina State Regents have graced, guided, and nurtured the growth of our beloved South Carolina State Society. Because of the threefold purpose of the NSDAR, our objectives are exactly the same today as when our National Society was organized in 1890: historical, educational, and patriotic.
We, the South Carolina State Society Daughters, are ever mindful as we continue to strive toward the future, that it is our solemn duty and responsibility to emulate the spirit of the men and women who achieved American independence.
TAMASSEE dar school
In February 1919, Tamassee DAR School was built by the South Carolina State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. The South Carolina daughters rallied to the needs of the mountain children of South Carolina to build the school. Today, support, both financial and physical, is given lovingly by the South Carolina Daughters. The South Carolina Daughters maintain the oldest building on campus, the Grace Ward Calhoun Cottage.
SOUTH CAROLINA ROOM
In Washington, D.C., the South Carolina Period Room in the NSDAR Headquarters depicts an early nineteenth century bed chamber with its summer textile covering. The pine fireplace surround was taken from the Carwile-McClentocky House in Edgefield, South Carolina, and the child’s crib comes from Greenville County.
The South Carolina State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, are custodians of the Battleship South Carolina silver service. The battleship USS South Carolina was christened on July 12,1908. On board was a 66 piece silver service with each piece being a work of art, in that it depicted the fruit, flowers and foliage native to our State. The South Carolina General Assembly allocated $5,000 to purchase this Silver in 1907. In 1921, under the Harding Disarmament Conference, the ship was scrapped and the South Carolina State Society was made custodian of the silver because they had given the flags which were used on the ship.